The Youth Leadership Academy was developed out of the desire of Huntington County Leadership, Inc. to expand its educational efforts to empower youth to become creative and positive influences in their community. This leadership program is a county-wide collaborative effort involving local community leaders and partners. The program will support potentially 20 youth yearly to foster leadership and community services.
Current High School Freshman may apply now for participation during Sophomore year. Must be a resident of Huntington County. Students can apply or be nominated from public, private or home school settings.
- Assist participating youth in identifying personal leadership strengths.
- Establish the role of youth as valuable resources as they explore their community and contribute through service learning.
- Nurture the leadership and community service potential of youth through exposure to the Huntington community, leadership skills training, and career awareness.
- Develop leadership skills for youth to serve on community boards or organizations.
- Develop youth/adult partnerships and confidence in working with adults
Youth Leadership Sessions
Sessions will consist of one weekend retreat, field trip days, and days scheduled on weekend or days when school is not in session. Session dates are currently in development. Tentative session dates will be posted by the June Parent and Youth meeting.
Sessions and topics include:
- Mandatory Saturday and Sunday retreat in August: personality styles, team building and goal setting, volunteer project planning.
- What does this community have to offer: City and County Government, community resources, organizations and business enterprises.
- Getting My Act Together: personal development, stress management, and leadership.
- Interviewing and etiquette: communication skills
- Financial session: financial skills, time management, volunteer project completion.
- Graduation planning session: presentation development and Leadership Seminar
For more information on the Youth Leadership Academy, please contact: Diedre Van Straten at [email protected]; Lynn Brown at [email protected]; or Ed Farris at [email protected]